Two effigies of the world’s powerful person were burned this week in the East Sussex town Lewes as part of Bonfire Night celebrations.
Who is he? It’s Vladimir Putin, the Russian president.
Can’t believe it? Neither can we.
— Cliffe Bonfire (@cliffebonfire) November 6, 2014
Putin, who has been responsible for wars in Ukraine, has been named the most powerful person in the world by Forbes for the second year in a row.
Forbes senior editor Caroline Howard said: “As the undisputed, unpredictable, and unaccountable head of an energy-rich, nuclear-tipped state, no one would ever call him weak.”
US president Barack Obama is the second most powerful person in the world followed by Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron is #10 on the list. The only other people from Britain on the list are Russian oligarch Len Blavatnik (56) and steel czar Lakshmi Mittal (57).
Here are top 25 most powerful people in the world:
1. Vladimir Putin, President of Russia
2. Barack Obama, President of the US
3. Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China
4. Pope Francis, Head of the Roman Catholic Church
5. Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
6. Janet Yellen, Chair of the Board of Governors of the United States Federal Reserve System
7. Bill Gates, Co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
8. Mario Draghi, President of the European Central Bank
9. Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Cofounders of Google
10. David Cameron, Prime minister of the United Kingdom
11. Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud, King of Saudi Arabia
12. Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway
13. Li Keqiang, Premier of China
14. Carlos Slim Helu, Honorary chairman of América Móvil
15. Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India
16. Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon
17. Francois Hollande, President of France
18. Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase
19. Ali Hoseini-Khamenei, Grand Ayatollah of Iran
20. Rex Tillerson, CEO of Exxon Mobil
21. Jeffrey Immelt, CEO of General Electric
22. Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook
23. Michael Bloomberg, CEO of Bloomberg
24. Charles Koch and David Koch, CEO and EVP of Koch Industries
25. Timothy Cook, CEO of Apple