It’s no secret, cyber security threats are everywhere. No matter how much we want to pretend we are safe and not at risk of dealing with a breach, there is plenty of evidence to support the contrary. For instance, studies have shown that there is a hacker attack every 39 seconds, which affects one out of three Americans every year. Additionally, 43% of all cyber attacks target small businesses and given that most companies take approximately 6 months to detect a data breach (even the major ones), this is a sure sign that we all need to be taking cyber security more seriously. That said, the following is a closer look at how a Virtual Private Network can help you solve this issue.
What is a Virtual Private Network?
Also known as a VPN, is a private network that allows users to stay safe and secure on the web. By creating a secure tunnel between the user and provider, a VPN helps to keep user information secure from cyber predators. It does this by scrambling the information being sent through the secure tunnel is creates. Despite the fact that these networks use the same lines being used by the rest of the internet, VPNs make it virtually impossible for hackers to access or steal your sensitive information. In order for anyone to access the information being sent via a VPN, they have a specific access key to decrypt it.
Benefits of purchasing a VPN
Considering purchasing a VPN for your network? You really should be. As mentioned, cyber hackers are everywhere and it is better to be safe than sorry. Failing to properly protect your network can cost you time, energy, and if you are a business owner, it may even cause you to lose customers and business partners. The following is a list of the features a high-quality VPN offers:
- Kill Switch– The kill switch, which is an automatic deactivation button that “kills” the internet connection if/ when a VPN connection drops, is one of the top benefits of purchasing a VPN. This is because it prevents you from surfing the web unprotected without your knowledge. In other words, if you are surfing the web, using a streaming service app, or using a BitTorrent site, and experience an issue with your VPN, the kill switch will immediately stop the connection. Therefore, you will not ever need to worry about unknowingly being connected to the network unprotected.
- Block Ads, Malware, and Trackers- Additionally, using a VPN will also allow you to block out malware, ads, trackers, hackers, and other potentially harmful programs and people.
- Public Wi-Fi Security– Having a VPN provides users with a secure connection while using public networks. Therefore, no matter where you travel in the world, you will have the peace of mind of knowing your connection is secure.
- Encryption– By purchasing a high-quality VPN, your information remains safe and secure with the help of the top-level encryption, the AES-256-GCM.
- Avoid Censorship– If you are dealing with censorship issues while surfing the web at home, at work, or abroad, purchasing a VPN, can solve this issue for you. This makes it is possible to bypass censorship regulations across the globe.
- Privacy for Banking and Other Private Transactions- One of the best features of a high-quality VPN is that it allows you to remain safe and secure while shopping, using bank apps, and more.
- Multi-Device Protection– Another of the top benefits of using a VPN is that it allows you to protect multiple devices using only one VPN network. This is a great feature for anyone who surfs the web using multiple computers, tablets, and other devices.
- No Logs– Moreover, using a VPN will also allow you to surf without storing any logs providing details on your search history. Therefore, you will not need to worry about hackers and other parties accessing this information at a later date.
- Camouflage Mode– Lastly, VPNs make it possible for users to remain incognito from their own networks. This means that users of VPNs never need to be concerned about ever being tracked or exposed from someone who has access to their network.
Who needs a VPN?
Although an array of people can benefit from using a VPN, there are some types of people who can benefit more than others:
- Frequently Fliers– If you are the type that travels frequently and uses your computer to conduct business, a VPN is one of the best ways to protect personal and professional data.
- Frequent Torrent Users– If frequently use BitTorrent and share and receive files regularly, you may need a VPN to protect your information from others.
- Those in Hiding– By purchasing a VPN, you will be free to surf the web without worrying about your location being uncovered.
- Frequent Streamers– Purchasing a VPN makes it possible to use streaming service platforms as often as you wish, without using up your own data.
No matter what type of devices you surf the web on or how often you use them, a VPN can protect your network. They allow you to surf the web, stream videos, and other content as much as you like, without having your information stolen or having to worry about your network slowing down or becoming sluggish over time.