According to a new poll by Panelbase support for Scottish independence has now reached a record high of 55%.
Chief executive Gordon MacIntyre-Kemp hailed the results as a “huge landmark” showing the “writing is very definitely on the wall for the union.”
Between 12 and 18 of August a total of 1,011 people across Scotland were questioned for the research, and overall, 51% support independence whilst 42% would vote to remain in the UK.
7% of voters were undecided, and when they were excluded, 55% are in favour of Scotland leaving the UK and 45% want to stay in the Union.
MacIntyre-Kemp said, “The reversal of the 2014 result is a huge landmark, 55% Yes will send shockwaves throughout the political world.
“There is no conclusion to draw from this new set of data other than the writing is very definitely on the wall for the union.”
He added, “The referendum that will be demanded following May 2021 Holyrood elections, on these figures, would start with Yes to independence commanding a 10% lead.
“Independence is now significantly the majority decision of the people of Scotland and its momentum looks solid.”
55% Yes will send shockwaves throughout the political world. There is no conclusion to draw from this new data other than the writing is very definitely on the wall for the union. https://t.co/AzVCrKJLcS pic.twitter.com/N57rVeM3nO
— BusinessforScotland (@BizforScotland) August 19, 2020
SNP deputy leader Keith Brown said, “Boris Johnson’s attempts to deny the right of the people to decide their own future is now utterly unsustainable.
“When we look at Boris Johnson’s handling of coronavirus, and his Tory Government’s contempt for all things Scotland, it is no wonder that the majority of voters in Scotland want to make their own decisions on the future of our country.”
Brown added, “With consecutive polls putting support for independence above 50%, it’s clear this is not a trend but the established position of the Scottish electorate.”
Patrick Harvie, co-leader of the pro-independence Scottish Green Party, also welcomed the survey.
Harvie said, “I’m delighted to see yet another poll show that ever more people in Scotland believe that it is time to choose independence.
“It’s no surprise that momentum towards independence continues to build in the face of utter contempt shown to Scotland by the Westminster Government.
“Boris Johnson’s disastrous handling of the pandemic and his sleekit attempts to undermine the democratic mandate of the Scottish Parliament have not gone unnoticed.
“The people of Scotland deserve so much better and by taking our future into our own hands we can build that better Scotland.”
Leave a Comment