Take a look at these fun facts…
Tea has become very much a staple in the British culture but do you know these ten facts about the famous hot beverage?
1. There are four major tea types, these are black, green, white and oolong. However, they all come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis.
2. For centuries tea was only used as a medicine. It took almost 3,000 years for it to become an everyday drink.
3. In Tibet, butter tea is a common drink. It’s made from black tea, yak butter, and salt.
4. China is the birth place of tea
5. There is an estimated 1,500 different types of tea.
6. Tea is the national drink in Iran and Afghanistan.
7. Tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world, after water.
8. In many parts of the world, tea is an important part of the day and an expression of hospitality.
9. Tea arrived in England in 1657, it did not immediately become popular. It was first sold in coffee houses and was heavily taxed, illegally smuggled, altered and fought over.
10. Solid blocks of tea were used as money in Siberia until the 19th century.
Leave a Comment