Brexit to begin
Theresa May officially triggered Article 50 today to start the Brexit process.
Her Brexit letter was delivered to Sir Tim Barrow earlier today and has now been given to Donald Tusk, the EU Council president.
A brief guideline of what happens next:
- May 2017, European Commission will publish the negotiating guidelines that it’s given by the 27 EU leaders
- May or June 2017 EU and UK negotiations may begin
- 23 April and 7 May are the French presidential elections
- 24 September are the parliamentary German elections
- October 2018 the British government will have hoped to have completed all negotiations
- March 2019 the UK will formally leave the EU. However, Article 50 negotiations could be extended with the approval of the 27 EU member states