Take a look
As the Heathrow expansion gets the go ahead we thought it would be fun to give you these 10 crazy facts about the beloved London airport:
- Heathrow employs 76,000 people within the airport boundary, this is the same number as the population of Guildford, Surrey.
- A single bottle of Chanel No 5 is sold in the airports duty free section every five minutes.
- Heathrow is recognised as the fourth busiest airport and handles a huge 66m passengers a year
- The days before the airport had a number of terminals there was only two, these were called ‘Europa’ and ‘Oceanic’.
- The two current runways can stretch to 4.7miles
- The most popular destinations to fly to are New York (JFK), Dubai, Dublin, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
- Terminal six is used only for VIPs which makes it very small and it’s only opened on special occasions. It includes the Royal Suite which is used for members of the House of Windsor, visiting dignitaries, and heads of state. As well as some celebrities.
- Heathrow sells more than 26,000 cups of tea, 35,000 cups of coffee and 1,050 bottles of champagne every day.
- London Ambulance Service first responders operate in all terminals on mountain bikes.
- It takes just 20 milliseconds for engineers to switch to the backup power supply in the event of a power cut.