The COVID-19 pandemic forced us all to suddenly change our lifestyle. In particular, switch to a remote mode of operation. Some people find it more effective than working from the office. You do not need to waste time on the way to work, on getting dressed, probably you can take more breaks, even take a nap in the middle of the day, etc.
For other people, for whom self discipline and organisation is a challenge, this has become a great issue. Check out the tips on how to work from home and at the same time stay productive, not overwork, stay in touch with the team and support each other.
- Set up your workplace and schedule. It is crucial to feel yourself in the working atmosphere for staying productive. Make sure to set up hours when you shouldn’t be distracted by family members to feel concentrated.
- Start your day at the same time as usual, even though you do not need to get to the office. The brain loves rituals, and the constant wake-up time is a triggering ritual that will pull everything else along with it. Do everything in the same way after getting up as on a work day. All these little things can give you more energy for sustainable productivity.
- Simplify your email management. In case you are not an email guru and haven’t reached Inbox Zero so far, your work email account can become cluttered with unnecessary newsletters and marketing promotions, as well as spam and junk emails. To prevent this from happening, spend some time on cleaning your inbox on a daily basis. If you receive a lot of spam messages, never reply to them or click any links. Instead, learn how to check if an email is valid, to make sure you got a message from a legitimate sender.
- Make commitments and set more deadlines. In the office mode, the atmosphere, colleagues, visible or invisible hierarchy, stimulate us to activity. The home environment is almost always relaxing and slowing down. But if you have a commitment, it helps you to be more disciplined.
- Use digital software and mobile apps. As a rule, remote work requires only a laptop and a comfortable workplace, and in order for the distance to bring positive things and not complicate the work, it is necessary to decide on a set of tools. You cannot do without them if you want to keep communication with colleagues accessible and organised, and your results at work as productive as possible. There are many different applications for remote teams that were created for certain tasks, like communication, setting goals, online documents, and email management.
- Don’t forget about physical activity. The biggest problem with remote work is the challenge of walking 10,000 steps a day when it’s only two steps from bed to workspace. Morning jogging and exercise at home using a mobile application are perfect solutions to this issue.
- Increase the communication level. If work with a team located all over the world, remote working may not affect your everyday communication. However, there are certain tips and tricks to make this communication more effective. For example, you need to make sure the language barrier hasn’t any negative effect on understanding your team members. Use various tools for video conferencing, software for voice communication with an automatic translation, and projects management tools like Slack, Zoom, Trello, Asana, etc.