Travelodge, the UK’s first budget hotel chain has revealed the most bizarre requests that some of its 19 million customers have asked whilst staying in one of its 553 UK hotels during the last 12 months.
The Travelodge hotel teams across the length and breadth of the UK receive thousands of strange requests every year and London provides some of the strangest oddities ranging from:
- Are you able to fly in some Beluga Caviar from Russia for dinner this evening? (London City)
- Can you ask that the London Eye rotates in an anti-clockwise formation? (London Waterloo)
- Can you fill my bath with fresh goat’s milk? (London Kings Cross)
- Will you be my bridesmaid? (London Wood Green)
- Can you decorate our room with Royal Family memorabilia? (London Vauxhall)
- Can you make sure the sunrises outside my bedroom window? (London Covent Garden)
- Could you join a conference call to my New York office at midnight and take minutes (London Bank)
- Can you be my personal shopper for the day? (London Central Marylebone)
- Can you ship this suit of armour back to China for me? (London Central Tower Bridge)
- Can you look after my Great Dane, Peggy while I pop out for the day? (London Central Southwark)
Travelodge has experienced a significant rise in business customers now staying at its hotels. More than 50% of Travelodge customers are business travellers and detailed below are examples of some of the requests that Travelodge hotel teams have received from its business customers:
- Can you ensure that all the traffic lights are programmed to green from the hotel to my meeting venue to ensure that I arrive on time?
- What is the altitude and longitude of the hotel? We are arriving by helicopter
- Please can you rename floor four ahead of my stay as it is an unlucky number in my culture and put 8 gold dragons into my room for good luck?
- I can’t remember if I turned my house alarm on, could you go to my house on Sandbanks to check?
- Do you have a private car park so that I can park my Rolls Royce Phantom in?
- Can you book me a water taxi to take me across the river as the traffic is bad this morning and I can’t be late for my meeting?
- Could you join a conference call to my New York office at midnight and take minutes
Shakila Ahmed, Travelodge Spokeswoman said: “With 19 million customers staying annually in our 553 UK Travelodge hotels across the length and breadth of the UK, our hotel teams receive thousands of unusual requests from business and leisure travellers. Where possible, the teams will go above and beyond to help customers. They do like a good challenge. However there are some requests that they cannot help with, such as: arranging dancing dolphins at Lands End, for it to snow and to ensure all traffic lights are green for a business executive so that he gets to his meeting on time.”
Interestingly this year’s audit of bizarre requests does include a couple of celebrity requests. The reception team at one London Travelodge hotel were completely star struck when a Hollywood movie star ran into the hotel ‘Fast and Furious’ requesting a safe haven for some R&R in the Bar Café after filming a big scene for a forthcoming blockbuster movie. The hotel team at Salford Travelodge searched high and low to fill a room with 200 long stem white roses for a celebrity guest.