A Turkish evacuation plane was shot at by the Sudanese paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) as it came into land at the Wadi Saeedna airstrip outside Khartoum.
One crew member was wounded in the incident and damaged the fuel supply despite the extended ceasefire for a further 72 hours.
The evacuation flight was able to land at the airstrip and according to the Sudanese Army the cargo plane is being repaired.
A midnight local time the first ceasefire ended, but this has now been extended for a further three days however there are reports that heavy fighting still continues in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum.
Read more on Sudan:
British government’s evacuation plans in ‘chaos’ with teams in Sudan ‘not knowing what to do’
Sudan’s war criminals are running riot killing people and Khartoum is like a scene from the horror movie the Purge
Government slammed for helping ‘diplomats’ to flee Sudan and not doing the same ‘for their citizens’
Brits trapped in Sudan told to ‘move now’ as it will be ‘impossible’ to evacuate when ceasefire ends tonight
The US and Saudi Arabia struck a new ceasefire and the British Foreign Secretary James Cleverly is urging UK nationals to “move now” and head “to the airport as quickly as possible to ensure their safety.”
The White House warned the situation on the ground in Sudan “could worsen at any moment” and Cleverly has promised that there will be “further flights to come.”
There are still around 3,000 UK nationals stuck in Sudan and fragile ceasefire could be broken at any time which would then make it “potentially impossible” to move around Khartoum to safety.
So far at least 897 people were evacuated overnight and over Wednesday evening 536 Brits were rescue.
On Thursday the British Foreign Secretary told Sky News, “We cannot predict exactly what will happen when that ceasefire ends, but what we do know is that it will be much much harder – potentially impossible.”
Cleverly added, “There are planes, there is capacity – we will lift you out. I’m not able to make those same assurances once the ceasefire has ended.”
He then gave an urgent warning to British passport holders, “So if you’re planning to move, move now.”
Africa Minister Andrew Mitchell said the UK’s evacuation effort is “going very smoothly” then he warned we’re “in the hands of the ceasefire” and it is not known what will happen after this.
Mitchell told Sky News the government “are doing everything we can” to prolong the ceasefire, but warned of a “humanitarian catastrophe” if both sides continue fighting in war torn Sudan.
Leave a Comment