Home Business News Prince Harry and Meghan’s £2.4m home renovation causes backlash

Prince Harry and Meghan’s £2.4m home renovation causes backlash

by LLB Reporter
25th Jun 19 3:57 pm

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s home was refurbished using £2.4m of tax payers money, campaigners are calling for a parliamentary investigation.

Republic who campaign for an elected head of state have asked why money was “thrown” at their Frogmore Cottage home, whilst public services are under so much financial pressure.

The house underwent major refurbishment converting five properties back into a single residence however, the pair bought their own fixtures and fittings.

Graham Smith from Republic said, “An MP spending taxpayers’ money on a private home would probably not be an MP for much longer.

“The general funds of the Treasury should not be spent on individual members of the royal family at all – even if we had all the money to spend on public services it should not be happening.

“The point about public services is it is particularly galling that they’re allowed to get away this whilst public services need money.”

Sir Michael Stevens, keeper of the Privy Purse for the monarchy said, “The property had not been the subject of work for some years and had already been earmarked for renovation in line with our responsibility to maintain the condition of the occupied royal palaces estate.

“The Sovereign Grant covered the work undertaken to turn the building into the official residence and home of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their new family.

“The building was returned to a single residence and outdated infrastructure was replaced to guarantee the long-term future of the property. Substantially all fixtures and fittings were paid for by Their Royal Highnesses.”

Leave a Commment

You may also like

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]