NATO forces are on “high readiness” over fears that Vladimir Putin is planning a further invasion and the Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has dramatically said they are to increase their forces to “well over 300,000.”
NATO has announced on Monday their largest overhaul of their defences since the Cold War by significantly increasing troop numbers from 40,000 to more than “300,000” in Europe.
The expansion of NATO’s forces will mainly be in countries which are the closest to Russia and later this week in a landmark summit Stoltenberg will outline the new decisions.
Read more on Russia-Ukraine war:
A Baltic country has warned that Russia are ‘simulating missile strikes against NATO territory as Europe prepares for war
Moscow threatens nuclear war after the UK’s top General ordered every British soldier to ‘prepare for war in Europe’
French paratroopers conduct military drills in Estonia ‘enabled, at very short notice’ to send Putin a message
Russian General warns ‘the first to be hit will be London’ when WWIII starts as the ‘threat to the world comes from the Anglo-Saxons’
In a briefing at NATO headquarters in Brussels on Monday, Stoltenberg said, Together, this constitutes the biggest overhaul of our collective deterrence and defence since the Cold War.”
The NATO chief added, “We will transform the NATO response force and increase the number of our high readiness forces to well over 300,000,” whilst Sky News reported that this will be called the Allied Reaction Force (ARF).
Stoltenberg said they will provide further support for Ukraine, he said, “Their courage and commitment are an inspiration. And I welcome that President Zelensky will join us at the NATO Summit.”
During the Madrid summit, NATO will also change their tone over Russia, Stoltenberg said, “I expect that allies will state clearly that Russia poses a direct threat to our security, to our values, to the rules-based international order.”
Countries who are at the most risk from Putin will see NATO will place more military hardware in Lativia, Estonia and Lithuania.
Lithuania has recently been threatened by the Kremlin for banning EU sanctioned goods from travelling through their country to Kaliningrad.
As part of Stoltenberg’s plans not all NATO troops will need to be deployed on the ground in eastern Europe and will sent at a moment’s notice when they are required.
He added, “These troops will exercise together with home defence forces.
“And they will become familiar with local terrain, facilities, and our new pre-positioned stocks. So that they can respond smoothly and swiftly to any emergency.”
Last week the UK’s top General and the former commander of UK special forces has warned that every British soldier must now prepare to “fight in Europe once again.”
In a chilling message to every single British soldier he has vowed to forge an Army which will win against Russian forces.
In his fourth day in the job he told The Sun, “There is now a burning imperative to forge an Army capable of fighting alongside our allies and defeating Russia in battle.”
Reference World War Two, General Sanders added, “We are the generation that must prepare the Army to fight in Europe once again.”