BT’s chief executive, Philip Jansen has told his staff that he pledges not to sack or furlough due to coronavirus for the next three months.
Jansen has also donated half of his annual salary to NHS charities, small businesses in his local community, after becoming infected with coronavirus last month.
In a letter to staff on Monday Jansen said, “For the foreseeable future, at least the next three months no BT, Openreach, EE or Plusnet colleague will lose their job as a result of the changing trading conditions brought about by coronavirus. That’s a promise.
“Secondly, I don’t want any of you to worry about whether you’ll be paid.
“The commitment I made to all of you at the start of the coronavirus outbreak still holds true: we’ll continue to pay all of you, for at least the next three months, whatever the circumstances.”
The BT chief has promised a 1.5% salary boost for team members, but managers pay will freeze their pay. And all staff will be awarded £500 in shares or equivalent.
He said, “Our networks, products, services and people, right across the world, have delivered under conditions we could never have imagined.
“This period requires sacrifices from us all and I want our people to know we are all in this together.”
Jansen added, “BT is stepping up, standing by the country in this time of need and standing by our people who are working tirelessly to keep everyone connected, safe and working.”