In snap polling conducted on January 6, as the events in the U.S. Capitol unfolded, Ipsos finds that the large majority of Americans oppose the protestors who broke into the capitol during the election certification, and half see it as an attempted coup.
- The events have captured the country’s attention, with virtually all familiar with the unrest.
- Over two-thirds (70%) oppose the Capitol protestors, while just under one in five (19%) supporting them.
- A similar number (74%) say the protestors who broke into the Capitol should be arrested.
- President Trump (34%) and Republicans (35%) seeking to contest the election get the support of only a third of Americans.
- Half of Americans (51%) see this event as an attempted coup, and fewer than a third (31%) believe these protests are necessary to protect America.
- However, half of Americans (51%) also agree that if elected officials do not protect America, regular people need to.