Finance ministry has reportedly opened ‘formal discussions’ with the Bank of England over Mark Carney staying on as Governor beyond his planned departure date of June 30 2019.
According to Sky News’ economics editor Ed Conway: “The Treasury is on the brink of putting the job vacancy out there, but we don’t yet know what the resolution of the talks will be.”
Carney had originally planned to serve just five years as governor, but in October 2016 he agreed to stay an extra year to see Britain past its expected departure from the EU.
Now it appears he is being asked to delay his departure again, albeit possibly by less than a year, the BBC said, without citing a specific source.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for PM Theresa May said there had been no change to the finance ministry’s plan to start a formal search for Carney’s successor: ‘Bank of England Governor Mark Carney has said he intends to step down in 2019 and that is still the plan’.
Leave a Comment