The first civilian ships are heading to Ukrainian ports using a temporary corridor to load thousands of tonnes of wheat for Africa and Asia.
The bulk carriers are heading to the Ukrainian ports of Odesa, Chornomorsk and Pivdenny, the Deputy Prime Minister for of Communities, Territories and Infrastructure Development Oleksandr Kubrakov said on Saturday.
The corridor’s were previously used by the Ukrainian Navy to evacuate vessels in the Ukrainian ports of Chornomorsk, Odesa and Pivdenny at the time Vladimir Putin’s war started.
Kubrakov said that since Friday a total of five ships have used the temporary corridor which is heavily guarded by Russia’s Black Sea Fleet.
Read more on Russia-Ukraine war:
Ukraine receives ‘industrial-size 3D printers’ to generate parts for military equipment on the battlefield
He said on Facebook, “The bulk carriers RESILIENT AFRICA and AROYAT confirmed their readiness to use the route to the port of Chornomorsk to load almost 20,000 tonnes of wheat for the countries of Africa and Asia.
“The vessels are under the flag of Palau, and their crew consists of citizens of Türkiye, Azerbaijan, Egypt and Ukraine.”
On Monday the British Prime Minister revealed that Russia fired “multiple missiles” at a civilian cargo ship in the Black Sea on 24 August, that declassified intelligence says.
In August barrage of Russian missiles and Iranian made Shahed drones destroyed more than 270,000 tonnes of grain which was destined to feed the world.
Last Wednesday the Ukrainian port city of Izmail was under Russian drone strikes overnight and a barrage of missiles landed within “800 metres” from Romania’s border.
The Romanian President Klaus Iohannis said last Wednesday that another round of Russian strikes came “very, very close.”
Iohannis said, “We had attacks just today, the minister of defence told me, which were verified at 800 metres from our border. So very, very close.
Iohannis added that they are “on alert” and they are speaking with NATO and their allies.