The North East of England could be spared from entering into the “very high” tier 3 lockdown by the government.
Shane Moore who is the council leader for Hartlepool Borough said that no talks has taken place since Friday.
On Monday evening Moore said on Twitter, “Apparently it was announced in the House of Commons earlier that there were talks happening in relation to #Hartlepool & wider #TeesValley going into Tier 3. This is untrue.
“No talks with us since update on Friday & if anyone suggests it to me this week they’ll be told to sod off.”
This comes as the government spared the Tees Valley and the North East from entering into the strict tier 3 lockdown.
Moore was asked if Hartlepool will be placed into tier 3 next week, and he said that the region will not go into the lockdown “unless” he is presented with “clear evidence” the tier 2 restrictions are not working.
Moore tweeted, “Not unless I am presented with clear evidence that the current restrictions are not working and that serious hospital admissions are causing strain on local health services.”
The Conservative Mayor for the Tees Valley, Ben Houchen said that there are no plans for the tough measures.
He said on Twitter, “After today’s statement, I spoke to Matt Hancock’s team and I was pleased that they confirmed what local leaders were told on Friday – that there are NO imminent plans to move our area to tier 3.”