Launching on March 9
One look on Twitter this morning and you will find thousands of excited iFans talking about Apple’s latest event invitation bearing the tagline “Spring forward”.
The tech giant has sent out invitations for an event on 9 March at the Yerba Buena Centre for the Arts Theatre in San Francisco.
Apple will launch its smartwatch at the event, it is being widely speculated.
Back in September, while launching the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple CEO Tim Cook gave the world a sneak peek at the Apple watch. At the time, he confirmed that the watch will go on sale in April.
“What we didn’t do is take the iPhone and shrink the interface and strap it on your wrist,” Cook said at the time.
So what is the Apple watch going to look like? Here’s a rumour-round up:
1. The watch will come in three versions – in black stainless steel, a luxury edition in rose or 18-carat gold, and a sports edition in grey.
2. It will come in two sizes – 38 mm and 42 mm.
3. The sports edition may be priced at $349 (£230). The luxury editions will obviously be more expensive.
4. The device will have a flexible retina display. It may have sapphire crystals too which will be able to differentiate between a press and a tap. (Yes, we too aren’t too sure why a smartwatch would need such a feature)
5. Five to six million smartwatches have already been made in Asia.
6. The smartwatch will serve as a “comprehensive health and fitness device”, according to Cook.
7. It will include Siri, integrated maps and a music player.
8. It will have a dial on the side called the “crown” which will help users perform a lot of tasks without touching the screen.