A man has been left in hospital with serious injuries following a late-night stabbing in north Belfast that has prompted a major police investigation and left residents describing the area as “shocked and deeply concerned”.
Emergency services were called to Kinnaird Avenue at around 10.30pm on Monday after reports of a violent assault outside a block of flats. Officers arriving at the scene were confronted with what has been described as a “deeply concerning” attack in a residential street.
The victim, a man in his 40s, was taken to hospital where he remains in a serious condition. Police have confirmed that a man, believed to be Somalian, has been arrested in connection with the incident.
A significant cordon remained in place around the scene on Tuesday as forensic teams continued their enquiries into what unfolded in the final hours of the night.
Assistant Chief Constable Ryan Henderson said the incident had been declared a critical case, underscoring the seriousness with which investigators are treating the attack.
“This is a deeply concerning assault and I have declared this a critical incident,” he said. “We have commenced an investigation to establish a motive.”
He added that the violence would have “sent shockwaves through the community”, while praising members of the public who intervened in an attempt to help the victim before emergency services arrived.
Police also urged the public not to circulate footage of the incident, warning that sharing such material could deepen the distress caused to the victim’s family and risk undermining the ongoing investigation.
“Our investigation is continuing at pace. Community safety is our priority,” Mr Henderson said. “We wish to acknowledge the bravery of those who stepped forward to help another person.”
Local representatives said the attack had triggered alarm among residents already concerned about rising levels of street violence.
Jordan Doran, a DUP councillor, said the incident had left the community “shocked and deeply concerned”, adding that residents would expect a “swift, thorough and robust investigation”.
He said there could be “no excuses and no tolerance for such brutality on our streets”, and stressed that people “deserve to feel safe in their homes and communities”.
The incident has prompted renewed scrutiny of violent crime in parts of Belfast, where community tensions and isolated outbreaks of serious violence have periodically placed pressure on policing resources.
Police have not yet released the identity of the arrested man, and enquiries remain ongoing.
Downing Street also responded to the attack, with Sir Keir Starmer describing the scenes as “horrific” and “sickening”.
“My thoughts are first and foremost with the victim,” the Prime Minister said, adding his thanks to emergency responders and members of the public who intervened at the scene.
As officers continue to piece together the circumstances surrounding the attack, residents in north Belfast remain on edge, with a quiet residential street now the focus of an investigation into a violent incident that has shaken the local community.





Leave a Comment