Nissan’s CEO Makoto Uchida, announced on Thursday that plants in Barcelona and Indonesia are to close.
Stephen Ma, Nissan chief financial officer, said, “In western Europe, we will maintain production of core models in Sunderland and maintain efficiency.”
Around 3,000 jobs have been lost on Barcelona and protests have started outside the manufacturing car plant with tyres being burnt.
Spain’s Economy Ministere Nadio Calvino said, “We obviously regret this decision.
“We will now see how to proceed and maybe look for an alternative solution.”
Nissan have introduced a four year plan that will cut production along with their model range by around a fifth.
A Nissan spokesman said, “Europe will remain an important part of Nissan’s global business. We have more than three decades of history in Europe, where Nissan created the crossover segment and took the lead in the rollout of electric vehicles and charging infrastructure.
“As the new Nissan Mid Term Plan explains, the company will be focusing on core models and technologies, which in Europe is our range of crossovers and electrified technologies.
“Sunderland remains an important part of our plans for the European business. The new Juke was recently launched, and the plant is now preparing for the arrival of the new Qashqai.”
Nissan posted in the year to 31 March an annual operating loss of £306.2m.
It has also been announced the troubled French company Renaultcould also move some of their models to the Sunderland plant.
last week a French government minister warned that Renault could disappear if help is not received as the EU’s motor industry is set for thousands of job cuts.
Japanese car giant Nissan also announced last week they are considering 20,000 layoffs with most in Europe and the alliance between Nissan and Renault.
On Friday, French finance minister Bruno Le Maire warned the future is at stake and is considering a €5bn loan to Renault through the crisis.