Home Business NewsBusiness Night Tube launch delay is a "massive embarrassment to Boris Johnson", says RMT boss

Night Tube launch delay is a "massive embarrassment to Boris Johnson", says RMT boss

by LLB Editor
27th Aug 15 10:47 am

We were “right to strike”, says Mick Cash

London Mayor Boris Johnson has been blamed for the delay in the launch of the Night Tube service.

RMT boss Mick Cash said the suspension of plans is “a massive embarrassment to both Boris Johnson and George Osborne”.

Cash said: “RMT welcomes this move which is what we have been calling for ever since we went into dispute over the Night Tube issue.

“We warned repeatedly that it would be dangerous and foolish to press ahead with bodged Night Tube plans until the very basics in terms of staffing and safety had been agreed with the unions through the long-established frameworks.

“This move by TFL proves that our members were right to strike and were right to warn the public about the consequences of the mad rush to introduce the mayor’s Night Tube plans without agreement. 

“The fact that the plans have now been suspended indefinitely to some vague date “in the autumn” is clearly a massive embarrassment to both Boris Johnson and George Osborne but gives us an opportunity to now get the basics that should have been sorted months ago worked out through direct negotiation.

“In the meantime, our action scheduled for early September remains on.”

Night Tube launch delay is “a big climb down for the mayor” 

Caroline Pidgeon AM, Liberal Democrat London Assembly transport spokesperson, called the delay of the launch “a big climb down for the mayor”.  

“His [Boris Johnson] retreat is entirely due to his error in setting a specific start date before all the staffing arrangements and other issues had been settled.

“By pushing for a set start date the mayor strengthened the union’s negotiating position.

“The mayor must now also come clean and explain when the expected changes to Night Buses will take place.

“It would be totally wrong if any Night Bus routes see a cut in their weekend service before the start of the Night Tube.”

Here’s what London Mayor Boris Johnson has to say:

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “The introduction of Night Tube will be a hugely important moment for London and it’s right that the positive discussions that are taking place with the unions should continue. As I’ve previously made clear, I’m not interested in a staring match over September 12th and I want to see Night Tube introduced this Autumn. 

“Agreement on this is in everyone’s interests – Londoners, businesses, visitors to our city and the hard working London Underground staff who are central to making this happen. Further strike action isn’t going to benefit anyone and I’d urge the unions’ leadership to keep talking so we can get on and deliver Night Tube for London.”

 

Now read:

Leave a Commment

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]