Home Business NewsIs Belarus preparing a false flag operation on Ukraine’s northern border?

Is Belarus preparing a false flag operation on Ukraine’s northern border?

21st May 26 5:15 pm

Alexander Lukashenko has said he is willing to hold direct talks with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky “at any point”, in remarks that underline Minsk’s attempt to balance its role as Russia’s closest ally with periodic efforts to present itself as a potential diplomatic intermediary.

Speaking via Belarusian state media, Mr Lukashenko insisted Belarus had no intention of becoming directly involved in Russia’s war in Ukraine unless its own territory was attacked.

“We are not going to get involved in the war in Ukraine,” he said, while adding that Minsk remained open to communication with Kyiv despite the collapse of formal diplomatic channels.

“If he wants to talk about something, consult or anything else, we are open to it,” he said, adding he was prepared to meet Mr Zelensky “at any point, in Ukraine or Belarus”.

The comments come amid heightened military activity and growing tension along Belarus’s southern frontier with Ukraine.

Belarus allowed Russian forces to use its territory as a staging ground for the initial phase of the 2022 invasion, including the failed assault on Kyiv, and has since remained one of Moscow’s key strategic partners.

While Minsk has consistently denied any intention of directly joining the fighting, it has continued joint military exercises with Russian forces, including drills involving nuclear-capable units and support operations.

Ukraine has responded by significantly strengthening security along its northern border.

The Ukrainian General Staff said enhanced defensive measures had been introduced across several northern regions following a decision by President Zelensky, describing the scale of deployment as “unprecedented”.

The operation, coordinated by the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), involves the armed forces, the National Guard, the border guards, and the police, and includes counterintelligence and anti-sabotage activities aimed at preventing infiltration or disruption.

Authorities warned that temporary movement restrictions and increased document checks may be introduced in affected areas, with residents urged to comply with instructions from security services.

The measures are being carried out under martial law and cover regions including Chernihiv, Kyiv, Zhytomyr, Volyn and Rivne.

Ukrainian officials have also warned of continued intelligence assessments suggesting Russia could seek to use Belarusian territory for future operations, including pressure along the Chernihiv-Kyiv axis.

Moscow and Minsk have both carried out exercises involving units practising nuclear-related operations, further heightening concern among NATO’s eastern members.

In parallel, Ukrainian intelligence has claimed Russia is exploring operational scenarios involving Belarus-based forces, though these assessments have not been independently verified.

Belarusian officials, meanwhile, have repeatedly said the country would only become directly involved if attacked, a stance they argue is intended to deter escalation while avoiding deeper entanglement in the war.

Mr Lukashenko also questioned why Belarus maintains dialogue with Western capitals, including Washington, Berlin and Warsaw, while communication with Kyiv remains limited, suggesting diplomatic channels should remain open despite the conflict.

Analysts say the latest remarks reflect a familiar pattern of strategic signalling from Minsk — combining offers of dialogue with firm alignment to Moscow.

For now, despite the rhetoric, diplomatic relations between Kyiv and Minsk remain effectively frozen, and there is no indication that direct talks between the two leaders are imminent.

Leave a Comment

You may also like

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]