Quantcast

Dominic Cummings comes out fighting ‘to clear up confusion’

0

Cummings has come out fighting on Monday defending his position and his actions for driving 260-miles to Durham on 31 March.

Cummings said, “I want to clear up confusion and misunderstanding and should have spoken earlier.”

He claimed he was fearful for his safety and that of his family after receiving threats, and on Monday a video posted on Twitter shows people verbally attacking Cummings at his home.

He said: “There were stories saying I opposed lockdown and didn’t care about many deaths.

“For years I’d warned of the danger of pandemics. Last year I wrote about the danger of pandemics and the need for planning.

“I’d argued for lockdown and not opposed it.

“But these stories had created a bad atmosphere arrow d my home. I was subject to threats of violence and there were posts on social media encouraging attacks and media reports showing my house.

“I was also worried, given the severity of the emergency, the situation would get worse.

“I was worried about the possibility of leaving my wife and child at home all day, late into the night, while I worked in No 10.

“I thought the best thing to do was to drive to an isolated cottage on my father’s farm.”

BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg asked whether Cummings regretted his actions and whether he understood the outrage people around Britain feel regarding his actions.

Cummings answered her, “No, I don’t regret what I did.

“As I said, and reasonable people may disagree, about how I thought about what to do in these circumstances.

“In terms of the rules, they made clear that if you are dealing with small children that can be exceptional circumstances.

“I think the situation I was in was exceptional circumstances and I think the way I dealt with it was the least risk to everybody concerned if me and my wife were unable to look after our 4-year-old.”

Durham police have issued an updated statement on Monday afternoon over Cummings.

The statement said, “Following significant public interest over the last few days, Durham Constabulary wish to add the following to our statement of Saturday, May 23rd.

“We can confirm that on April 1, an officer from Durham Constabulary spoke to the father of Dominic Cummings.

“Mr Cummings confirmed that his son, his son’s wife and child were present at the property. He told the officer that his son and son’s wife were displaying symptoms of coronavirus and were self-isolating in part of the property.

“We can further confirm that our officer gave no specific advice on coronavirus to any members of the family and that Durham Constabulary deemed that no further action was required in that regard.

“Our officer did, however, provide the family with advice on security issues.”

Durham’s acting police commissioner added in a statement on Monday, “It is vital that the force can show it has the interests of the people of County Durham and Darlington at its heart, so that the model of policing by consent, independent of government but answerable to the law, is maintained.

“It will be for the chief constable to determine the operational response to this request and I am confident that with the resources at its disposal, the Force can show proportionality and fairness in what has become a major issue of public interest and trust.”

On Sunday Boris Johnson defended Cummings and said he had acted “responsibly, legally and with integrity” and had “followed the instincts of every father.”

Gloucestershire’s independent police and crime commissioner Martin Surl criticised Cummings as they have “made a mockery” over the lockdown rules.

Surl told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, “I think it makes it much harder for the police going forward, this will be quoted back at them time and time again when they try to enforce the new rules.”

Steve Baker who previously worked with Cummings penned an article in The Critic on Sunday saying, Cummings had “clearly broken” the lockdown rules, with trips to see his family in County Durham.

Baker said that changes are “immediately required” to improve the government’s response over coronavirus.

Baker wrote, “Enough is enough.

“I and others saved him once before when he was driving Vote Leave to implosion.

“Not today. Dominic Cummings must go before he does any more harm to the UK, the government, the prime minister, our institutions or the Conservative Party.

“Time is up. It is time for Dom to resign so Boris can govern within the conventions and norms which will see us through.”

Fellow Tory MP Simon Hoare also urged for Cummings to “consider his position” in a tweet he posted on social media on Sunday morning.

“With the damage Mr Cummings is doing to the Government’s reputation he must consider his position,” he tweeted.

People across England have declared that “if Dominic Cummings can break the rules we can too” after the Prime Minister defended his 260 mile trip to Durham just eight days after the strict lockdown rules were set out by the government on 23 March.

Last night there was a furious reaction to Boris Johnson defending his controversial aide after millions of Brits have stuck with the government’s rules.

The Prime Ministers failure to condemn and sack Cummings has most certainly weakened his authority in enforcing the lockdown.




Share.