Following the shock sacking of 800 P&O Ferries staff a criminal and civil investigation has been launched, as the Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng confirmed the Insolvency Service has formally launched both probes.
Kwarteng tweeted, “Following my letter to the Insolvency Service last week, formal criminal and civil investigations into P&O Ferries have now commenced.
“Transport Secretary Grant Shapps and I will continue to follow this matter closely as the investigations progress.”
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announced earlier this week they will design moves to make P&O “fundamentally rethink their decision” following the sacking of 800 staff.
Shapps said he will ask the Insolvency Service to consider disqualifying P&O Ferries chief executive Peter Hebblethwaite from being their company director.
Shapps’ letter to the company’s boss, reads, “The past week has left the reputation of P&O Ferries and, I’m afraid, you personally in tatters.”
“There is no excuse for this behaviour, and as I said publicly on Friday, I believe your position as chief executive, and indeed as a company director, has become untenable,” he added.