Home Business NewsBusinessAviation Ryanair warns ‘pilot and cabin crew job losses cannot be ruled out’

Ryanair warns ‘pilot and cabin crew job losses cannot be ruled out’

by LLB Reporter
28th Jan 20 2:58 pm

Due to the delay in Boeing returning the 737 MAX aircraft Ryanair has warned that “pilot and cabin crew losses cannot be ruled out.”

The budget airline was expecting to receive delivery of ten aircraft by June, but last week Boeing announced it could be July before the aircraft gets the all clear to fly again.

In a memo to staff Ryanair said it could be September or October at the earliest before they receive the Boeing aircraft.

The budget airline are now urgently reviewing their summer 2020 schedule. The memo said, “Sadly, this means we cannot rule out further base cuts and closures.

“We will do our best to avoid any more base closures, but this will mean eliminating at least ten aircraft from existing bases, and so further pilot and cabin crew job losses cannot be ruled out.”

Eddie Wilson, chief executive of the Ryanair said they will advise all bases by the second week of February “as to what further cuts and/or closures will be required as direct result of these further Boeing MAX delivery delays.”

Boeing grounded all 737 MAX aircraft after two fatal crashes that killed a total of 346 people due to software issues in the aircraft.

As a result Ryanair has lost around €100m due to the grounding of the fleet.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts