The Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has said that the RAF has carried out strikes against the Iranian backed Houthis militants in Yemen.
Sunak said that the bombing raids in response to the Houthis “reckless actions risking lives at sea” amid the ongoing attacks against commercial vessels in shipping lanes across the Red Sea.
US and UK Navy destroyers fired Tomahawk cruise missiles and submarines in the region were also used as part of a strike force.
Sources have said that “many” British and US warplanes were involved and entered Yemeni airspace overnight.
The US President Joe Biden warned that he will “not hesitate to direct further measures” against the Houthis militants in Yemen.
Yemen hasn't caused any casualties, but it has impacted Israel's support for Gaza. Surprisingly, the UK and USA, geographically distant from the Red Sea, are bombing Yemen to safeguard Israel's trade interests.#Yemen #GunturKaaram #Earthquake pic.twitter.com/Cgs7eJvqPm
— Elon Musk (Parody) (@NotElonMuskAOC) January 12, 2024
The British Prime Minister said in a statement, “The Royal Air Force has carried out targeted strikes against military facilities used by Houthi rebels in Yemen.
“In recent months, the Houthi militia have carried out a series of dangerous and destabilising attacks against commercial shipping in the Red Sea, threatening UK and other international ships, causing major disruption to a vital trade route and driving up commodity prices.
“Their reckless actions are risking lives at sea and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.
“Despite the repeated warnings from the international community, the Houthis have continued to carry out attacks in the Red Sea, including against UK and US warships just this week.
“This cannot stand.
“The United Kingdom will always stand up for freedom of navigation and the free flow of trade.
“We have therefore taken limited, necessary and proportionate action in self-defence, alongside the United States with non-operational support from the Netherlands, Canada and Bahrain against targets tied to these attacks, to degrade Houthi military capabilities and protect global shipping.
“The Royal Navy continues to patrol the Red Sea as part of the multinational Operation Prosperity Guardian to deter further Houthi aggression, and we urge them to cease their attacks and take steps to de-escalate.”
President Biden said in a statement, “Today, at my direction, US military forces – together with the United Kingdom and with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands – successfully conducted strikes against a number of targets in Yemen used by Houthi rebels to endanger freedom of navigation in one of the world’s most vital waterways.
“These strikes are in direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks against international maritime vessels in the Red Sea – including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history.
“These attacks have endangered US personnel, civilian mariners, and our partners, jeopardised trade, and threatened freedom of navigation.
“More than 50 nations have been affected in 27 attacks on international commercial shipping.
“Crews from more than 20 countries have been threatened or taken hostage in acts of piracy.
“More than 2,000 ships have been forced to divert thousands of miles to avoid the Red Sea – which can cause weeks of delays in product shipping times.
“And on 9 January, Houthis launched their largest attack to date- directly targeting American ships.
“The response of the international community to these reckless attacks has been united and resolute.
“Last month, the United States launched Operation Prosperity Guardian – a coalition of more than 20 nations committed to defending international shipping and deterring Houthi attacks in the Red Sea.
“We also joined more than 40 nations in condemning Houthi threats. Last week, together with 13 allies and partners, we issued an unequivocal warning that Houthi rebels would bear the consequences if their attacks did not cease.
“And yesterday, the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution demanding the Houthis end attacks on merchant and commercial vessels.
“Today’s defensive action follows this extensive diplomatic campaign and Houthi rebels’ escalating attacks against commercial vessels.
“These targeted strikes are a clear message that the United States and our partners will not tolerate attacks on our personnel or allow hostile actors to imperil freedom of navigation in one of the world’s most critical commercial routes.
“I will not hesitate to direct further measures to protect our people and the free flow of international commerce as necessary.”
Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, the leader of the Houthis said, “Any American attack will not remain without a response. The response will be greater than the attack that was carried out with 20 drones and a number of missiles.
“We are more determined to target ships linked to Israel, and we will not back down from that.”