Home Business News Over 12,500 people have coronavirus in care homes, says ONS

Over 12,500 people have coronavirus in care homes, says ONS

by LLB Reporter
15th May 20 3:58 pm

Alarming figures show that more than 12,500 people who are in care homes across England and Wales have coronavirus.

Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows that one in four deaths in car homes were between 2 March and 1 May, from coronavirus.

During this period 27% or 12,536 died out of the 45,899 car home residents from the deadly virus.

Of the deaths, around 72% or 9,039 occurred within a car home and 27% were in across hospitals. As a result, this therefore pushes the overall care home deaths 51% higher that what was reported on Tuesday by the ONS.

Sarah Deeny, assistant director of data analytics at the Health Foundation, said: “Today’s data – which accounts for care home residents that have died in hospital, shows that previous figures have significantly underestimated the extent of Covid-19-related deaths among residents, which total 12,526 or 51% higher than previously published.

“For all causes of death, the proportion of deaths among care home residents in hospitals has declined from last year.

“While we would expect a high proportion of these deaths to occur within care homes, and in many cases this will be the right choice for patients, this does raise the question of whether more residents should be treated in hospitals and whether they are being provided with high-quality end of life care.

“This worrying data reveals the extent of the human cost of the crisis, which has already taken many lives and affected thousands of families who have lost loved ones.”

aroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, said: “These new authoritative figures provide the most detailed view to date about what’s been going on in care homes and home care, and they tell a pretty alarming story.

“It’s not just the many deaths of older people directly attributed to the virus that cause us concern, but also the spike in deaths accounted for by other things.

“Behind these statistics there are real older people whose lives were tragically cut short, and families and friends left to carry on knowing that in other circumstances their loved ones may have survived.

“For now, the priority has to be to do everything possible to protect older people in receipt of care, and save their lives.

“It is clear that problems remain in accessing enough PPE (personal protective equipment) and tests, and in the last seven days a further 400 care homes reported a Covid-19 outbreak, showing we are still very much in the midst of the crisis.”

Shadow social care minister Liz Kendall said it was “clear that the virus is having an even bigger impact on care home residents than was first thought”.

She added: “The Government has been too slow to get to grips with this problem.

“Despite recent announcements, there is still complete confusion about testing, with care homes telling MPs they have been unable to access tests.

“The Government’s own Covid-19 recovery strategy can’t guarantee that every care home for the over-65s will even be offered tests until June 6.”

Leave a Commment

You may also like

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]