Home Business News London terror attacks: Third terrorist named as Youssef Zaghba

London terror attacks: Third terrorist named as Youssef Zaghba

by LLB Reporter
6th Jun 17 11:27 am

Breaking: The latest

According to Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera, the third London terror attacker has been named as a Moroccan-Italian man, Youssef Zaghba, 22 and was not known to the police nor MI5 as a person of interest.

The newspaper reported that Zaghba was born in Fez, January 1995 to a Moroccan father and an Italian mother. The newspaper said his parents had lived in Morocco before splitting up and his mother then returned to Italy and lives in the Bologna area.

The Met’s Counter Terrorism Command has released the name and photograph of the third attacker shot dead by police following the terrorist attacks on London Bridge and at Borough Market on Saturday.

A spokesperson for the Met said: “While formal identification is yet to take place, detectives believe he is 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba, from east London. The deceased’s family have been informed.”

“He is believed to be an Italian national of Moroccan dissent. He was not a police or MI5 subject of interest.”

“All three men involved in the attack were confronted and shot dead by armed officers within eight minutes of the first call.”

Foreign secretary, Boris Johnson said: “Police and MI5 will be looking in to who these characters were.”

Zaghba was reportedly stopped at Bologna airport in March last year while attempting to fly to Istanbul, and was potentially travelling on to Syria.

It has been reported he had just a backpack with him, and a one-way ticket, Zaghba apparently told his mother he was going to Rome.

It is believed that his phone had pictures and videos on religious themes however, nothing of any significance in relation to jihadist ideology was found.

Leave a Commment

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]