Home Business Insights & Advice Here’s a brief and straightforward guide to gynecomastia

Here’s a brief and straightforward guide to gynecomastia

by John Saunders
30th Dec 20 2:16 pm

The typical masculine silhouette has a flat chest, while the typical feminine silhouette doesn’t. When a male develops breasts or has an enlarged chest, it can be uncomfortable and embarrassing.

For many males, the cause of this excess growth is a condition known as gynecomastia.

Why does it occur?

The Mayo Clinic explains that gynecomastia is a result of excess estrogen in males, leading to the growth of breasts. Men generally have more testosterone, but they also have estrogen in their bodies. If something happens to throw off balance and allow more estrogen than testosterone, gynecomastia can occur.

Many things can cause an imbalance. It could result naturally from changes in the body that occur during puberty or in older age. It may also be a side effect of medication or following a diet high in estrogen-rich foods.

The most common times for a male to suffer from gynecomastia are during the teenage years and over the age of 50. Some male babies will also have it occur right after birth due to their mother’s hormones remaining in their body.

Sometimes, the cause of the condition is unclear. The doctor will need to run tests to rule out serious issues and diagnose you with gynecomastia. Many other conditions can appear to be gynecomastia:

  • Kidney failure
  • Hypogonadism
  • Cancer
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Obesity
  • Hypoandrogenism
  • Liver disease
  • Testicle injury
  • Drug use
  • Medications

These conditions or situations will often lead to a hormonal imbalance that leads to gynecomastia, but the underlying condition or situation is the main concern. Your focus would be on treating that to get rid of gynecomastia.

Symptoms and diagnosis

Gynecomastia symptoms are mainly a change in the physical appearance of the chest. The Cleveland Clinic explains that it can result in swelling or lumps of fatty tissue rather than an overgrowth of the breasts. In some situations, it may only affect one side of the chest or produce puffy nipples. It may also cause tenderness in the breasts or nipples.

Your doctor will need to do a physical exam, and likely will want to run tests to rule out possible underlying conditions. The doctor may do a breast exam where he or she feels your chest. Gynecomastia can cause a rubbery lump of tissues to develop under the nipple that the doctor should be able to feel.

Your doctor will also need to review your medical history and ask you questions about your symptoms. He or she may also order an imaging test, like an ultrasound or mammogram. You’ll also usually have blood tests, which are the main way to discover hormone imbalances.


In most cases, your doctor will likely not make you undergo any type of treatment because the condition will resolve itself. If this is what happens with you, it may be a little comfortable because you likely just want to find a way to get a flat chest again.

If you’re uncomfortable with the way you look, you can buy this gynecomastia compression shirt. The shirt will help to flatten your chest, and give you the silhouette you desire until the condition resolves itself.

Your doctor may also have concerns about your hormone levels and refer you to a specialist that treats such issues, an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist may give you medications or offer you further advice on what to do.

Your doctor will also want to treat any underlying condition that’s causing the gynecomastia. This can vary depending on what other health issues you have, but can range from medications to cancer treatments.

Your doctor may also recommend lifestyle changes. These might include exercising and dieting or stopping certain behaviors, such as drinking alcohol.

Some cases of gynecomastia require surgery to fix them. Usually, a surgeon will either perform liposuction, which allows for the removal of fat, or a mastectomy, which removes excess tissue. Which surgery you need depends on the extent of your condition.

Lookalike gynecomastia

Pseudogynecomastia is what happens when a man develops breasts due to being overweight. This isn’t true gynecomastia because that requires a hormonal cause of breast development. Pseudogynecomastia occurs due to excess fatty tissue in the breasts, not due to swelling like true gynecomastia.

Treating pseudogynecomastia begins with changing your diet and starting an exercise routine. You need to create a deficit in your daily caloric intake. The easiest way to do that is through a combination of diet and exercise.

Focus your diet on eating foods low in fat and sugar. Reduce carbohydrates as well. Doing these things will help you to reduce the calories you consume. You also should increase your fiber intake. Fiber makes you feel full, so it will help you to eat less.

When it comes to exercise, you need to understand that there’s no way to reduce fat in just one area of the body through exercise. You can’t do chest exercises and expect that to work.

You’ll want to do a combination of cardiovascular exercises and chest exercises. Good cardio options include walking, running, biking, and swimming. Anything that gets your heart rate up is a cardio exercise option.

Chest exercises should work all of your chest muscles. To make it easier to figure out what exercises to do, you should think of push, pull, and lift. As long as you push, pull, and lift during your workout, you’ll work all of your chest muscles.

The cardio workout will help you to burn fat overall in your body, which will, in turn, help reduce the size of your chest. The chest exercises will help to tighten and firm up your chest muscles. This will help reduce sagging and prevent loose skin issues from weight loss.

In some cases, your body may not respond to weight loss, leaving you with excess fat remaining in your chest. In this case, you may need surgery to remove the fat.

Moving on

If you have gynecomastia or even pseudogynecomastia, it’s possible to live with it and move on. You just need to take the situation seriously. See your doctor first, and then figure out what to do from there under the care of a medical professional.

Leave a Commment


Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]