The government have held emergency talks as more and more calls mount to rescue British nationals who are trapped in Sudan as fierce fighting is taking place.
There are at least 2,000 British citizens who are stranded in Sudan and Downing Street has said on Monday that “all avenues” are being explored to evacuate UK nationals.
The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said that the government are “working around the clock” to provide help for the trapped Brits.
The Times has reported that two British warships may be heading to the Port of Sudan which comes as HMS Lancaster is in the region and could be used to help evacuate UK nationals, according to Whitehall sources, Sky News reported.
A team of British troops have landed in the Port of Sudan on Monday who will conduct a reconnaissance mission to figure a way to safely get around 2,000 trapped Brits back to the UK.
Thousands of British nationals are stuck in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum which is over 500 miles from the Port of Sudan which could be fraught with tactical concerns.
James Heappey, the Armed Forces Minister said they and the military are considering a wide range of options to organise safe routes from the capital to the Port.
Over the weekend it was claimed that the SAS were sent into Khartoum and extracted all British diplomats and their families.
He said, “But of course the job isn’t done.
“Work is under way in this building and has been all weekend and all of the back end of last week to give the prime minister and Cobra [the emergency committee meeting of top ministers and officials] options for what else could be done to support the wider community of British nationals in Sudan.
“Those options are being developed at pace.
“The Prime Minister will be given the option to take any of the options that we present him with as and when they arise and that’s been the rhythm of things all weekend long.”
The Prime Minister’s spokesman refused to comment on British warships being sent to extract stranded Brits who are trapped amongst the fighting in Khartoum.
He said, “We will pull every lever possible to help bring about a ceasefire and equally to support British nationals trapped by fighting.”
Tobias Ellwood, chairman of the Commons Defence Committee, said the UK needs to help broker a ceasefire for 12 hours which will allow sufficient time to safely extract all British nationals to safety.
Speaking to the BBC’s World At One programme Ellwood who is a former British Army officer said, “We must use our influence to speak to both sides, making it very clear that there needs to be a 12-hour ceasefire so we can get our people out.”
He added that the UK must not “abandon” our nationals as the threat in Sudan is “deteriorating rapidly.”
Alicia Kearns, Tory chairwoman of the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, warned “there is no imminent sign of a ceasefire.
Kearns estimated that there could be bewteen “3,000, 4,000 plus” British nationals who are stranded in Sudan, who will be in “abject fear,” following reports of some people killing their pets “because they’re worried they’re going to starve.”
Leave a Comment