Home Business Insights & Advice Comparing van insurance cover to find the best cover

Comparing van insurance cover to find the best cover

by Sponsored Content
6th Nov 19 10:43 am

Finding the right van insurance with the right cover can be a minefield for the inexperienced. At the back of your mind, there is always a small voice letting you know the wrong choices could affect your earnings and your lifestyle – no more so than if you are a new business starting out.

Different insurance providers have different policies and level of cover for van insurance, which is why comparing van insurance can save a lot. There are a few exceptions, but the overall majority of van type can be covered with no bother. They are the light Box Luton vans, pick-up vans, double or single cab vans and tippers. Mostly, insurance policies cover vans that are 3.5 tons or less but there is also cover available for up to 7.5 tons.

To get the best insurance cover for your van you need to do a comparative analysis of different insurance cover.

  • Breakdown Cover: Breakdown cover provides the insured with a service and covers the costs of recovery or simple roadside running repairs. There are different levels of cover with different levels of service so you can continue your journey. Lower levels of cover do not include help if your car refuses to start in your driveway. The home breakdown is included in the better levels of cover and onward journey cover with the highest.
  • Extra Cover: To get the best insurance cover you sometimes need extras to be included. There is a useful selection to add to your policy for a reasonable fee. Many are worthwhile considering including,
  • Courtesy vehicle: A courtesy vehicle is often, although not always, included in breakdown cover. If it is not included in the breakdown cover you are offered, it could be included in you main policy in the event of accident or damage. Either way, if you are earning a living with a van, it is best to have it.
  • Legal Cover: This cover helps with all the legal matters and costs that arise after an accident. How much you pay in premiums as always depends on your level of cover, but for example, cover regardless of who is at fault will be higher than for cover for you not being not at fault.
  • Wrong Fuel Cover: It can still happen although not in newer vans because only the correct fuel pump nozzle fits. Even so, if you are in an older van, motoring further afield where there are old pumps or foreign languages, it would be better to have it.
  • Public Liability Cover: PLC is a third party cover that covers loss or damage by the public. This could be death, injury or damage to property due to your van.

Insurance is an expensive necessity. If you are using your van for your small business the chances are you should already have public liability insurance and it is worth checking if it extends to your van is covered to costs. There are insurance providers who put together packages that include different types of cover suitable for small businesses of all types. It’s worth looking around online.

Leave a Comment


Sign up to our daily news alerts

[ms-form id=1]