Buckingham Palace has revealed on Tuesday that the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, is being treated for an “infection” and will stay in hospital for a few more days.
Officials said in a short statement, “The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection.
“He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.”
Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex visited his father today and said that he is feeling “a lot better.”
Speaking to Sky News Prince Edward said, “He’s a lot better, thank you very much indeed and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing so we keep our fingers crossed.”
When asked if Prince Philip was frustrated to be in hospital, Edward laughed and said, “Just a bit. I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting.”
He added, “We’ve had some brilliant and lovely messages from all sorts of people and we really appreciate that and so does he, I’ve been passing them on. It’s fantastic, thank you.”
He was driven to hospital and no ambulance was required, and he walked unaided into the hospital.
Buckingham Palace previously said in a statement, “His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on Tuesday evening.
“The duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s doctor, after feeling unwell.
“The duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”