The British Embassy in Sudan has warned on Monday afternoon that the situation in the Sudanese capital is extremely “perilous.”
The embassy said there are reports that convoys evacuating people from Sudan have come “under fire” as ‘intense fighting” is raging across the country.
They said that “intense fighting” continues across the war-torn country and British citizens are being warned to “relocate at your own risk.”
In a statement the British embassy said, “The safety of British nationals in Sudan is out utmost priority.
“Our advice is to stay indoors wherever possible. We recognise circumstances will vary in different locations.
“You should exercise your judgement, including whether to relocate at your own risk.”
Andrew Mitchell, the British Foreign Office Minister, warned the situation in Sudan is “extremely grave.”
He told the House of Commons in statement late on Monday afternoon the situation on the ground in Sudan is “rapidly deteriorating.”
Mitchell added that the safety and security of British nationals in Sudan “continues to be our upmost priority” and the so far 2,000 Brits have registered with the Foreign Office.
UN secretary general Antonio Guterres says the United Nation is not leaving Sudan, “we must all do everything within our power” to pull the country “back from the edge of the abyss.”
He said the conflict “risks a catastrophic conflagration within Sudan that could engulf the whole region and beyond.”
Guterres also “strongly condemned” the bombing of civilian areas across part of Sudan and is asking for a de-escalation and “return to the negotiating table.”
A team of British troops have landed in the Port of Sudan on Monday who will conduct a reconnaissance mission to figure a way to safely to extract thousands of trapped Brits back to the UK.
Thousands of British nationals are stuck in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum which is over 500 miles from the Port of Sudan which could be fraught with tactical concerns.
James Heappey, the Armed Forces Minister said they and the military are considering a wide range of options to organise safe routes from the capital to the Port.
Over the weekend it was claimed that the SAS were sent into Khartoum and extracted all British diplomats and their families.
He said, “But of course the job isn’t done.
“Work is under way in this building and has been all weekend and all of the back end of last week to give the prime minister and Cobra [the emergency committee meeting of top ministers and officials] options for what else could be done to support the wider community of British nationals in Sudan.
“Those options are being developed at pace.
“The Prime Minister will be given the option to take any of the options that we present him with as and when they arise and that’s been the rhythm of things all weekend long.”