The International Criminal Court (ICC) are joining a team who are investigating allegations of war crimes in Ukraine by Russian troops.
The European Union’s agency for criminal justice cooperation, Eurojust announced on Monday that prosecutors from Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine have signed an agreement for the international war crimes tribunal’s.
This is the first-ever participation of such an investigative team, ICC prosecutor Karim Khan said today.
Read more on Russia-Ukraine war:
Vladimir Putin promotes the ‘Butcher of Bucha’ for ‘heroism and courage’ after his troops ‘gang raped and executed civilians’
Teenage girl found dead after being raped and the ICC has declared Bucha as ‘crime scene’ as hundreds are executed
Wife returns home to find her husband ‘shot in the head, mutilated, tortured’ by Russian troops in Bucha
Intercepted call hears a mum tell her son ‘no, you aren’t killing civilians and children’ you are ‘killing f***ing fascists’
Eurojust said in a statement.”With this agreement, parties are sending a clear message that all efforts will be undertaken to effectively gather evidence on core international crimes committed in Ukraine and bring those responsible to justice.”
In March the ICC opened an investigation into possible war crimes committed by Russian forces.
Earlier this month the chief prosecutor from the ICC declared Bucha as a “crime scene” where hundreds of civilians were executed by Russian troops.
A 16-year old girl was found with a gun shot in the back of head in her garden after being raped by Russian soldiers and has been named as Karina Yershova.
Khan previously said, “We’re here because we have reasonable grounds to believe that crimes within the jurisdiction of the court are being committed.
“We have to pierce the fog of war to get to the truth.”