Do you remember any of these?
The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip announced his retirement from royal duties. Here are some of his greatest gaffes that’s sparked outrage and laughter.
- In 1986 during a World Wildlife Fund meeting, the Prince said “If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.”
- During a state visit to China in 1986, he said to British students “If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.”
- In 1994, the Prince shouted to the Queen who was talking with hosts “Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on.”
- In 2001, a 13-year-old boy in Salford said to the Prince “I want to go space.” He said in reply to him “you are to fat to be an astronaut.”
- A Palace reception was being held for British Indians in 2009. Whilst looking at a businessman’s name badge, he said to Atul Patel “There’s a lot of your family in tonight.”
- During a visit to Australia in 2002, he was talking to an aborigine entrepreneur and asked him “Do you still throw spears at each other?”
- In 2013, he said to a Filipino nurse at Luton hospital “The Philippines must be half empty as you’re all running the NHS.”
- In 2015, he said to a RAF photographer “Just take the F***ing picture.