A spouse visa in the UK usually comes with a validity period of 2.5 years, after which you can apply for an extension for another 30 months. However, to extend your spouse visa, you must apply for renewal before the current visa expires. At the end of the extension period, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
Here are some vital things to know to extend the spouse visa successfully.
What are the eligibility requirements to apply for spouse visa extension?
To obtain a spouse visa extension, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You should be in a genuine relationship with your partner or spouse
- You must not breach any immigration conditions or law during your current stay in the UK
- You must provide proof of combined income of at least £18,600 to support your stay in the country
- You must be of good character
- You may need to establish your knowledge of the English language when applying for an extension
Advantages of UK spouse visa extension
By applying to extend your spouse visa, you may be eligible to live in the country for another 30 months. Additionally, you may become eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK and eventually, get British Citizenship.
What documents do you need to extend your UK spouse visa?
Here are a few crucial documents you must provide when applying for an extension of your spouse visa:
- Your current passport or other valid travel documents as accepted by Uk Visas and Immigration (UKVI) officials
- Your certificate of marriage or civil partnership
- Proof that you and your spouse are currently living together in the UK and from the time you were granted the spouse visa earlier
- Complete accommodation details in the UK
- You must have a British sponsor holding a valid passport or documents of Indefinite Leave to Remain
- You must provide your current bank statements or details of salary indicating that you or the sponsor meets the minimum income requirement
- Details of criminal convictions in the UK or your home country, if any
It is a non-exhaustive list, and you may need to provide additional documents if required.
How to apply for a UK spouse visa extension?
To extend your UK spouse visa, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Apply for an extension online using Form FLR(M)
- Check the required fee amount and pay the same online
- You may also need to pay an additional fee towards the Immigration Health Surcharge
- Next, you must provide your most recent and valid passport, travel document, or national identity card as mentioned in the application form. It serves as evidence of your nationality and identity
- Duly fill up the form with complete and accurate information
- You and your qualifying sponsor must sign all relevant declarations
- Once you submit the form online, book an appointment with UKVCAS to upload all documents and enrol your biometrics
When should you apply for a spouse visa extension?
You must submit the spouse visa extension at least 28 days before the expiry of your current visa.
Leave a Comment