10 more people have died in the UK, bringing the total confirmed coronavirus deaths to 21 across the UK.
Professor Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer for England, said the ten who died “were in the at-risk groups.”
Professor Whitty said, “I understand this increase in the number of deaths linked to COVID-19 will be a cause for concern for many.
“The public should know every measure we are taking is seeking to save lives and protect the most vulnerable.
“Every single one of us has a role to play in achieving this. If you have a new continuous cough or high temperature, please stay at home for seven days. I also encourage everyone to be washing their hands for 20 seconds regularly.
“I offer my sincere condolences to the families and friends who have received this difficult news. I ask that their privacy is respected at this time.”
The total number infected globally now stands at 147,838, with more than 5,500 deaths. So far 71,718 people have totally recovered.
WHO director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hit out at Boris Johnson on Friday after he announced only the most seriously ill will be tested, whilst others who notice symptoms encouraged to self-isolate for 14 days.
Dr Ghebreyesus said, “You can’t fight a virus if you don’t know where it is.
“Do not just let this fire burn,’ he said. ‘Any country that looks at the experience of other countries with large epidemics and thinks ‘that won’t happen to us’ is making a deadly mistake.”
WHO experts have slammed the British government’s coronavirus plans for a second time, they said the approach to allow UK citizens to develop “herd immunity” against the potentially deadly infection is wrong.