Home Business News TikTok set to launch legal action against President Trump

TikTok set to launch legal action against President Trump

by Peter Smyth Tech Journalist
23rd Aug 20 5:02 pm

Earlier this month the US President Donald Trump signed an executive order which prevent US businesses from working with TikTok and WeChat a messaging app.

TikTok have said that they are going to launch legal against President Trump. President Trump and others have concerns that the Chinese app owned by ByteDance is passing information over to government authorities in China.

The lawsuit, to be filed on Monday, challenges President Trump’s 6 August executive order on the grounds that the order’s reliance on the US International Emergency Economic Powers Act deprives TikTok of due process, Bloomberg reported citing sources.

@Avalon.red

Huawei were also banned by the US government which then led to Prime Minister Boris Johnson banning the Chinese tech giant from the UK’s 5G network in July.

British MPs agreed to ban the purchase of any new equipment after 31 December and by 2027 all Huawei 5G network equipment will be removed in an irreversible plan, the government also announced.

Acting on the advice of GCHQ’s National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) the Prime Minister accepted the US sanctions on Huawei to protect the UK’s national security.

Every month around 80m American’s use TikTok and the Chinese owned app have said they have never given any US data to the Chinese authorities.

If the ban is upheld, then Apple and Google may no longer able to list the TikTok app in their stores.

@Avalon.red

President Trump said the Chinese-owned apps, are a threat to America’s “national security, foreign policy and the economy.”

In a statement TikTok said it will challenge Trump’s decision in court to ensure that “our company and users are treated fairly.”

Lawyer Michael Bien, who’s representing those challenging President Trump’s ban said, “Having it suddenly cut off would be disastrous and frightening for people, especially in the pandemic.”

A statement from TikTok released on Saturday said they had “sought to engage in good faith to provide a constructive solution” even though it “strongly disagrees” with the grounds for the ban.

“What we encountered instead was a lack of due process as the [Trump] administration paid no attention to facts and tried to insert itself into negotiations between private businesses.

“To ensure that the rule of law is not discarded and that our company and users are treated fairly, we have no choice but to challenge the executive order through the judicial system.”

You may also like

Leave a Comment

CLOSE AD

Sign up to our daily news alerts