The situation on the ground in Bakhumt has turned so desperate Russian troops are “‘marching on corpses of their own” in scenes not seen since World War 1 to capture the salt mining city.
Russian forces are up against fierce resistance as Ukraine have “committed significant reinforcements” to Bakhmut, but despite this NATO’s chief has warned it could fall to Moscow “in the coming days.”
There is probably around “500 lines of defence” in and around Bakhmut with a “line of defence every ten metres” and what “Russia lack in quality, they’re trying to make up in quantity” for cannon fodder.
Read more on Russia-Ukraine war:
Battle of Bakhmut could degrade Russia’s most elite, effective and difficult troops to replace, including Wagner forces
Moscow to set up a suicide squad by calling on suicidal men to enlist signalling they are running out of combat ready reserves
Russians stage mutiny who are ‘refusing to proceed with a new senseless attack’ of ‘well-defended Ukrainian positions’
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told journalists before attending a meeting of EU Defence Ministers in Stockholm that Russia “have suffered big losses, but at the same time, we cannot rule out that Bakhmut may eventually fall in the coming days.”
On Tuesday President Volodymyr Zelensky warned it will be an “open road” for Russian forces to enter other cities in the Donetsk region if Moscow captures Bakhmut.
The Institute for the Study of War (ISW), previously wrote, “The costs associated with six months of brutal, grinding and attrition-based combat around Bakhmut far outweigh any operational advantage that the Russians can obtain from taking [it].”
On Tuesday we reported that the ISW have written a damning report which warns that Vladimir Putin could lose some of his most effective and more difficult troops to replace in the battle of Bakhmut.
The Russian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has committed some of their elite airborne troops to fight in the city of Bakhmut, Donetsk region, as Moscow are “throwing more high-quality troops into the battle.”
The ISW report says, “The Wagner attacks already culminated once, causing the Russian Ministry of Defense (MoD) to commit some of its elite airborne troops to the fight.
“It may well culminate again before taking the city, once more forcing the Russian military to choose between abandoning the effort or throwing more high-quality troops into the battle.”