BHS has more than £1.3bn of debt
Sir Philip Green, former owner of BHS, has come under fire for his handling of the failed retailer.
MPs have called for the government to launch an inquiry into the collapse of the company and have branded Green’s leadership as the “unacceptable face of capitalism”.
These five stats show the extent of BHS’s problems:
1. Almost 11,000 jobs and 164 shops at risk
2. BHS has more than £1.3bn of debt
3. In the last 16 years, the BHS pension fund has dropped from a £5m surplus into a £571m deficit
4. After the retailer was sold for £1 last year, over £25m went to new owners. The owners are facing questions over where the £25m went.
5. Sir Philip Green is facing questions over how his family took out £400m in dividends from BHS before selling it.