Quantcast

Boris Johnson faces Crown Court over alleged £350m claim

0

Boris Johnson has been ordered to appear in court over allegations of misconduct in a public office over claims he lied, and allegedly said the UK gave the EU £350m a week.

Marcus Ball has brought a private prosecution against the Conservative leadership candidate saying, Johnson misled the public during the lead up to the 2016 EU referendum and again in the 2017 general election.

Previously Ball said, “Democracy demands responsible and honest leadership from those in public office.

“The conduct of the proposed defendant Boris Johnson was both irresponsible and dishonest.

“It was, we say, criminal.”

Campaigner Ball crowdfunded the case raising £200,000 for the case, and Johnson’s representatives have called this a “stunt” that is only being “brought for political reasons.”

However, Ball said, “The UK has never sent, given or provided £350m a week to Europe, that statement is simply not ambiguous.”

Johnson’s lawyer Adrian Darbishire said in court last week that Johnson denies any wrong doing.

He said, “I should make it clear that because of the interest in this case that it is absolutely denied by Mr Johnson that he acted in an improper or dishonest manner at any time.”

District Judge Margot Coleman ruled on Wednesday in a judgement, “The allegations which have been made are unproven accusations and I do not make any findings of fact.

“Having considered all the relevant factors I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences as drafted. The charges are indictable only.

“This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the Crown Court for trial.

“The charges can only be dealt with in the Crown Court.”

Lewis Power QC representing Ball said Johnson’s conduct was both “both irresponsible and dishonest.”

The maximum sentence for this offence is life imprisonment.




Share.