The Chancellor Rishi Sunak and the Health Secretary Sajid Javid have both resigned from the government in a double hammer blow for Boris Johnson which now seriously risks ending the Prime Minister’s position.
The public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.
I recognise this may be my last ministerial job, but I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.
My letter to the Prime Minister below. pic.twitter.com/vZ1APB1ik1
— Rishi Sunak (@RishiSunak) July 5, 2022
Javid said in a statement, “We may not have always been popular, but we have been competent in acting in the national interest.
“Sadly, in the current circumstances, the public are concluding that we are now neither.”
The chancellor said, “The public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.
“I recognise this may be my last ministerial job, but I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.”
I have spoken to the Prime Minister to tender my resignation as Secretary of State for Health & Social Care.
It has been an enormous privilege to serve in this role, but I regret that I can no longer continue in good conscience. pic.twitter.com/d5RBFGPqXp
— Sajid Javid (@sajidjavid) July 5, 2022
This shock resignations from two of Johnson’s most senior Cabinet members came after the Prime Minister was forced into a humiliating apology over the Chris Pincher scandal after it apparently emerged he had forgotten about being told of previous allegations of his conduct.
On Tuesday morning the Cabinet were told to oust the Prime Minister within 24 hours for “not telling the truth” that he knew his former deputy chief whip had previously been accused of sexual assault claims.
Downing Street said that Boris Johnson was unaware of the sexual assault claims which go as far back as 12-years, last week Pincher resigned after he groped two men at a private members club whilst drunk.
Lord McDonald, who was one of Britain’s most senior civil servants, has written to the Standards Commissioner saying that Pincher’s behaviour was known off and had previously been investigated.
Lord McDonald accused the Prime Minister of “not telling the truth” over what he did know regarding Pincher as far back as 2019 when he was a Foreign Office Minister.
Senior government Ministers have been told to threaten to resign en masse to end Johnson’s position as Prime Minister over the ongoing repeated sleaze allegations over his leadership.
In a damning letter Lord McDonald wrote, “Five days after Mr Pincher’s resignation as deputy chief whip, there remains significant confusion surrounding complaints about his behaviour prior to the drunkness he admits at the Carlton Club on 29 June.”
He continued, “Inaccurate claims by 10 Downing Street continue to be repeated in the media. On 3 July, the BBC website report: ‘No official complaints against [Pincher] ever were made.’
“This is not true in the summer of 2019, shortly after he was appointed as minister of state at the Foreign Office, a group of officials complained to me about Mr Pincher’s behaviour.
“I discussed the matter with the relevant official in the Cabinet Office. (In substance the allegations made were similar to those about his behaviour in the Carlton Club).
“An investigation upheld the complaint; Mr Pincher apologised and promised not to repeat the inappropriate behaviour.”
A Conservative Party MP, who was previously loyal told Express.co.uk that he is now “fed up” with the repeated negative headlines over the Prime Minister and we must “end this cr*p today.”
“You aren’t kidding yourself; let alone us.
“Then we need eg Sunak and Javid and Wallace (other combos available) to tell Boris [this morning] he goes or you all go.
“End this cr*p today.”
Leave a Comment