The death toll in Spain now stands at 4,089 and health officials confirmed on Thursday a total of 655 deaths from coronavirus.
Spain now has 56,188 cases up from 47,610 on Wednesday. The country has recorded the second highest death toll behind Italy, which has 7,503 and 74,386 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has announced on Thursday an extended a nationwide lockdown for another two weeks to try and contain the deadly virus.
Sanchez said: “It is not easy to extend the state of emergency.
“I am convinced the only efficient option against the virus is social isolation.”
The Spanish capital, Madrid has half of all coronavirus cases in the country and is the epicentre of the outbreak.
Madrid has turned their ice rink in to a temporary morgue, and hearses arrive daily to collect coffins.
Earlier this week the World Health Organization (WHO) said Europe and the USA make up for 85% off all new cases of the virus.
The Spanish government have spent €432m on face mask, gloves and coronavirus testing kits from China.
Dr Margaret Harris at the WHO said, “The outbreak is accelerating very rapidly and the case numbers we received overnight will put that up considerably.”
The head of the WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonoses unit, Maria Van Kerkhove warned that loss of smell and taste is another new symptom of the virus.
Kerkhove said, “A loss of smell or a loss of taste is something that we’re looking into.”
Fears have also been sparked as a new deadly virus is spreading across China after a newly reported death has emerged.
Whilst we are in a global pandemic with coronavirus, the world could now be facing a new virus is completely different to coronavirus.
The Chinese man was from Yunnan province died whilst travelling to work, the stat run Global Times reported.
He was from the city of Lincang and Chinese authorities are now urgently monitoring and screening for the virus across the city.